How Many Days does It Take to Detox from Alcohol and What Factors May Affect It?
There are many reasons that propel someone to drink alcohol. Some may drink it because they enjoy the taste. After all, alcohol comes in variety of forms like wine, beer, tequila, margarita, and champagne. Some people also drink alcohol because they like the feeling of glee that comes with it. Others believe that alcohol helps them relieving stress. Of course, anybody knows that drinking a little once in a while is alright while drinking excessively will be bad for your body. However many people still fall into the trap of alcoholism. Here is a question to ponder before you are drinking: how many days does it take to detox from alcohol?
Body Metabolism When Drinking Alcohol
Around two to eight percent of consumed alcohol is excreted out of the body through breath, sweat, and urine. Remaining alcohol within the body is going through a series of metabolism process involving enzymes such as catalase, alcohol dehydrogenase, and cytochrome P450. These enzymes help body turning alcohol into more manageable substances, water and carbon dioxide.
When metabolizing alcohol, body cannot absorb important nutrients that it needs optimally. This is because liver focuses more on managing alcohol than doing its main task. This condition causes people to experience temporary blood sugar drop and inflated blood fat level. Drinking alcohol can be very disruptive to bodily system if it is done in a long time. It may cause disruption in the liver, malnutrition, and even permanent damage of brain.
How many days does it take to detox from alcohol? Each person may experience detoxification process differently. Normally, it takes around eight hours after someone had drunk to actually feel the first symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. Within the next one or two days, these symptoms may actually increase in its intensity. The symptoms are going to be more tolerable after that then decreasing exponentially after five to seven days.
Prevention and Treatment Time
Treatment is also going to affect how many days does it take to detox from alcohol. Untreated alcohol withdrawal symptoms may last up to several weeks. They may still experience side effects from drinking alcohol like drowsiness, headache, or distorted vision long after they drank alcohol. It is certainly not comfortable. The treatment method for alcohol withdrawal symptom is going to be discussed in later part.
The withdrawal symptoms that usually occur are nausea, fatigue, shakiness, and some pain in the stomach. Other symptoms include increase in body temperature and blood pressure as well as disorientation. Psychologically, it can ignite anxiety and agitation. On more severe cases, delirium tremens (commonly abbreviated as DT) can happen. If not treated right, DT can have dangerous consequence.
Factors Affecting Alcohol Detoxification Process
As stated previously, everyone may experience different detoxification process. There are several factors affecting how many days does it take to detox from alcohol.
- The amount of consumption, If alcohol consumption is high, body needs more time to detox than if the alcohol consumption is low. It gives an implication that alcohol consumption must be kept as minimum as possible.
- Duration of consumption, There are people who have consumed alcohol for a long time. It turns out that duration of consumption affects how many days does it take to detox from alcohol. When someone has consumed alcohol for a long time, they will exhibit more severe withdrawal symptom than those who consume alcohol for less amount of time.
- Age and weight, As a person ages, their alcohol metabolism process will slow down. Aging person gain more fat tissues in their body. body will have lower percentage of water. Thus, blood alcohol concentration in older person is higher than in younger person.
Weight also needs to be considered. Someone skinnier will have higher blood alcohol concentration than someone who weighs more. When a person has high blood alcohol concentration, it needs longer time for them to detox freely.
- Existing mental health issues, There is a possibility that the person who is drinking alcohol actually experiences other problems. Some even reported mental health issues that cause them to drink alcohol. When someone is having other psychological issues in addition to their alcohol consumption, they must immediately consult to expert about that.
- Nutritional intake is also going to affect how many days does it take to detox from alcohol. As stated before body cannot absorb necessary nutrients in optimal way. However, eating nutritious food and snack will help replenishing old cells which may have been destroyed by the alcohol.
Easy Guide To Self Detoxification
Some people actually get medical help in order to guide them through withdrawal system as well as speeding up the process. However, there are many natural cures that will not require you to take medication.
- Supplement intake, When drinking alcohol, body needs as many supplement as it can get. This is because alcohol drinker needs more time to recover the damaged body cell. The type of supplement highly recommended is vitamin B-complex which is great for renewing body cells.
- Drinking electrolytes, Nausea and dehydration is a common symptom of alcohol withdrawal. To lessen these symptoms, drinking fluid that contains high electrolyte will help. You can buy electrolytes sold in the market or get coconut water.
- Eat fruit and vegetable, Nutritious food is highly necessary for recovery after drinking alcohol. Alcohol drinker is suggested to increase fruit and vegetable intake every day.
- Meditation, Alcohol withdrawal can cause psychological symptoms such as irritability, anxiety, and even depression. Meditation will help mind to concentrate as well as connecting body with the mind. It can hopefully reduce tensions within the body.
- Exercising can also help increasing bodily metabolism. When exercising, body temperature will rise and burning process can happen much faster.
There are several factors influencing how many days does it take to detox from alcohol. You should learn that because of those factors, someone may take short amount of time to recover from withdrawal symptoms while the other must suffer for weeks. Although there are many medicines to help curbing withdrawal symptoms, natural remedies are the most preferable method.
© Copywright 2018 https://www.Healthdetoxdaily.com